Dr. Michael Genz is a board-certified general surgeon specializing in minimally invasive laparoscopic and robotic anti-reflux, esophageal, gastrointestinal, colon, hernia and endocrine surgery.
Dr. Genz’s goal is to improve each patient’s quality of life by providing exceptional care. His approach to surgery is simple; he says, “I always ask myself what would I do if this were a member of my own family?” He believes that
in order to be successful in surgery, the surgeon has to develop a strong personal relationship with each and every patient. By connecting with his patients in this way, he believes he is then able to better guide them through their surgical experience
while empowering them to live healthier and happier lives.
In addition to his unique fellowship training, Dr. Genz also has extensive experience treating patients with diseases of the thyroid and parathyroid glands, breast as well as intra-abdominal solid organs such as the gallbladder, spleen and adrenal glands.
Outside of the office, Dr. Genz enjoys traveling and discovering new restaurants with his wife, mountain biking, and taking care of his 7 pound Chihuahua. He also enjoys making a difference in his community and lending a helping hand whenever he can.
Education & Training:
- Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship, University of California, San Diego, California
- General Surgery Residency, Atrium Health - Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Doctorate of Medicine, Mercer University School of Medicine, Savannah, Georgia
- Paramedic, Accelerated Paramedic Training Program, McCook, Nebraska
- EMT, Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician Training Program, Lander, Wyoming
- Bachelor of Arts, Biochemistry, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
Certifications & Affiliations:
- Board-certified, General Surgery, American College of Surgeons
- Robotic Surgery Resident and Fellow Certification, Da Vinci Xi Surgical System
- Advanced Trauma Operative Management, American College of Surgeons
- Advanced Surgical Skills for Exposure in Trauma, American College of Surgeons
- Fundamentals of Endoscopic Surgery, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Basic Life Support
- American College of Surgeons - Member
- American Hernia Society - Member
- Society of Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons - Member
Honors and Awards:
- Resident of the quarter, Carolinas Medical Center, Atrium Health, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic and robotic surgery
- Esophageal surgery
- Hernia surgery
- Complex abdominal wall reconstruction
Northside Provider Directory Details
View Dr. Michael Genz's profile in the Northside Hospital Physician Directory